Let’s hop right into it. I not one for fluffy blog posts and I’m SO excited to tell you my step-by-step process of tripling my income as a new entrepreneur!
In June 2015, I officially said ‘buh-bye’ to my 9-5. It was the EASIEST and HARDEST thing I have ever done (weird, right?) It was easy in that I KNEW I couldn’t stay there another minute…but super terrifying because I felt like I didn’t have a SOLID plan as to how to keep my income consistent (much less even generate ANYTHING).
I hadn’t built my program. My website needed a major makeover. I didn’t have a coach or mentor to help me.
All I had was a VERY supportive husband, a STRONG desire to make it happen, and the guts to say “I QUIT!”
June 1st, 2015 marked my FIRST day as self-employed (um, let me just add it took me months to call myself that verses UNemployed…total mindset shift there, my friend). Since then, I’ve been asked to be at an event to show off my business in front of 40,000 people, signed many high-end clients, revamped old websites for my 90 rock stars, launched my podcast, booked my first public speaking gig, traveled (hallelujah!), done 2 segments of LIVE tv (holy smokes), became a writer for the Huffington Post, and so much more.
If you would have asked me that day, June 1st, 2015, where I thought my business would be next year, I would have laughed (and maybe cried?) with uncertainty. Remember – I didn’t have a plan, just a STRONG desire to NEVER return to the 9-5….like ever….again.
April 2016 was my highest month yet income wise (I increased my income 525% from my 9-5 income) and I really wanted to break it down for you all as to HOW I did it!
- I got SUPER clear with who I wanted to work with – I know I know, you hear this all the time. BUT I’M SERIOUS! I know EXACTLY what my ideal client struggles with, WHAT they want, WHY they need support…all that jazz. The more you know your ideal client, the better. If you don’t know her pain points or her struggles, it’s REALLY hard to market to her….much less attract her to sign up for your programs.
- I got MEGA visible – Visibility is EVERYTHING (when done properly!). I’m a big fan of Private Facebook Groups because they’re pretty easy to identify which ones your ideal clients will be in. Choose 3-5 groups, and show up CONSISTENTLY! That’s the dirty little secret. Consistency. And also? Be sure to introduce yourself and give tips (aka value) instead of pitch after pitch after pitch. Think about it this way. If you’re at a coffee shop hanging with your friends and someone walks in and is like “HEYIMAMYANDISELLTHISANDTHAT!” you’re going to be turned off, right? Keep it class folks!
- TIP – Use facts and figures – people dig that
- DON’T spam…duh
- DO show up consistently, daily
- TIP #2 – Check the rules of the FB group (don’t promo when you’re not supposed to!)
- Still curious about my visibility? Here’s a breakdown:
- Started my own Private Facebook Group
- Posted on my Social media platforms AT LEAST 2x per day
- Showed up in FB Groups minimum of 1x per day, daily, giving value
- Used cute imagery (texts posts don’t grab as much attention)
- Showed the back end of my business
- Wrote weekly blog posts
- Nurtured & grew my email list 200% in one month
- Focused on booking discovery calls & ASKING for the sale
- I QUIT making myself believe I wasn’t good enough. – This is a BIGGIE! I would see posts bashing other entrepreneurs in my industry and always worried that I wasn’t good enough, or didn’t know enough, or felt ‘fraud-y’. I had to talk myself up daily (and yes, hot pink sticky notes are totally around my house keeping my mind high vibe) and remind myself that I DO know enough. And then I made a list:
- I have a degree in Art Therapy that heavily focuses on HOW and WHY people do what they do
- I had a 4.0 GPA in my MBA in Marketing program (even though I dropped out because I didn’t feel it was the right fit for where I wanted to go)
- I had run multiple success businesses (including having a photography business all through college, a creative business since 2010, and a jewelry line at the age of 12 (…that last ones just for the cute factor haha))
- I have blogged since 2010 and LOVE the techy side
- I love to teach others HOW to do things in a fun, interesting way
Talking myself up like this (and making a list!) really helped me see my value, what I brought to the table, and WHY someone would want to hire me.
- I collaborated with other female entrepreneurs in my industry – Don’t see entrepreneurship as you against the world. Reach out and support one another! I don’t believe in competition, I believe in collaboration.
- I quit worrying about everybody else and focused on ME and MY business – It’s SO easy to have shiny object syndrome in business. There’s always a new offering, a new webinar, a fancy freebie, etc. DON’T GET DISTRACTED! Focus on what you can do each day to increase your visibility and attract your ideal clients. For me, when I notice myself comparing, I also notice my income dropping. It’s a double edged sword! I get lazy, un-focused, bummed, and self-shaming. EW! Ain’t nobody got time for that! Snap out of the comparison game. It’s not worth your time OR your money. Another point to make here, is I quit worry about “should I say THIS? or THAT? or WHAT IF someone gets made at me about_______” Psh. If that happens, they aren’t your tribe. Do you, honey
- And finally, I chose a path and I stuck to it (sort of) – What I mean is, start before you’re ready. It’s really easy to think “Once THIS is perfect, THEN I’ll start”. But what that really does is keep you stuck! Start NOW. Stop waiting. Pick a direction, explore it…and if you don’t SUPER love it, navigate that feeling and adjust. I picked a direction, liked it..but adjusted until I LOVED it.
So, there a glance into what all happened during my most profitable month so far!
Let me know in the comments what’s worked for YOU!