Ok folks, let me tell you what’s been happening..
A few years ago, I began blogging. I now identify myself as a blogger (still weird) and have grown a nice sized audience to feel like I SORTA have a hang of this thing now.
Recently, I switched my blogging platform from Blogger to WordPress. I migrated my entire blog BY MYSELF (I feel so accomplished!) and am currently getting used to my new WordPress setup. THIS WAS NOT EASY!! Let me tell you. I spent MONTHS trying to figure out how to migrate my blog over to WordPress. I’m not a tech-savy person, nor do I understand too much of the fancy words some bloggers use. There is SO MUCH I wish I would have known BEFORE I even started blogging that would have saved me some major headaches during my quest of migration.
So this is the simple, easy to understand (I hope) BEGINNERS guide to:
THINGS TO DO BEFORE STARTING A BLOG THAT YOU MAY ONE DAY WANT TO TURN INTO A BUSINESS THING! (That was going to be the title but I thought maybe it’s a big long..haha)
Let’s do this.
***If you plan on blogging just for kicks and giggles and have no intention of ever running a business from your site or making money, you can easily go to blogger.com or worpress.com and start a free site! They will walk you through the steps there 🙂
But for those of you thinking MAYBE someday it’d be pretty sweet to make a little pocket change from your blog…keep reading!
- DOWNLOAD GOOGLE CHROME – No one tells you this. It’s fairly new I suppose, but I’d download this sucker here first thing. (Even if you don’t want to start a blog, it’s just a super cool browser.) Why? Oh, so many reason. First, it’s fast! WordPress seemed to slow down my safari (Mac) but it’s speedy quick on Chrome. Second, it’s user friendly. Third, it has SUPER cool FREE apps. It’s like a smartphone on your computer! Here’s a screenshot of my “chrome-page”…see what I did there 😉
DOWNLOAD PICMONKEY – What’s this monkey thing I speak of? It’s a super cute photo editing site that lets you turn drab photos into swag photos (or something clever like that). Not only can you edit photos, but you can make designs, logos, buttons, really anything. Having a fun photo editing application or software engages your readers and makes your photos enticing! Below, you can see the difference between an un-edited photo and a PicMonkey photo. Pretty cool, eh? YOU CAN EVEN WHITEN YOUR TEETH! Which I did. Ha! You can add little shapes, new colors, words, etc., to make your photo POP!
- CHOOSE A HOST – Ok. Here’s where I did things the hard way. In easy terms, a host is a service that is going to make your writings accessible to the world! Woohoo! Yay hosting! Now, you have the choice of doing free hosting (such as blogger and wordpress BOTH offer), or you may choose to buy hosting. Free hosting often has limited services. For example, fewer template designs. Buying hosting allows you to have many more options and more control. If you’re looking into growing your blog bigger and better and using it as a business, BUY HOSTING! It’s not too expensive, and many come with a free domain as well! (I bought my domain, trying to be fancy, before I ever knew what hosting was.)
- CHOOSE A CLEVER DOMAIN NAME – Yes. Clever. Something that grabs your readers attention and sticks with them. Something easy to remember and easy to say! A domain name is the first step in branding yourself and establishing an identity.
Who Do I recommend for these services, you ask?
a. BluHost – AFTER I realized the smart thing to do would have been to get hosting and THEN a domain name, I researched. Bluehost is more affordable and has EXCELLENT and EASY customer service. How do I know? I accidentally bought over $200 worth of hosting. Don’t ask. So clicked “Chat” for help. I’m not much of a talk on the phone person..so I definitely love the chat option. I had my money back into my account within 24 hours. No questions asked! You can check out Bluehost here.
b. GoDaddy – GoDaddy is pretty user friendly and the customer service is pretty good as well. My vote between the two is Bluhost.
- CHOOSE YOUR STYLE – Are you going for edgy? Hipster? Mod? Classic? Whatever you choose, this sets the tone for your blog! (No pressure) The colors, theme, and layout of your blog reflect your personality and are either going to draw in your readers or…well…not. This goes for your writing as well. I write personally, like a conversation. Some bloggers write more precisely. The beauty is, IT’S UP TO YOU! You have total control over your blog. And that’s super cool!
- WIPE YOUR BROW AND JUMP IN! – Welcome to the world of blogging! We’re happy to have you! If you have any questions, please comment or send me some sugar! I’d love to help.
Ps… If you’d like to hop into the world of blogging..check out the video below!